27 June 2009

Remember the Time When We First Met


"If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with." - MJ


Now I don't remember the first time I was introduced to the music of Michael Jackson. I do remember however the first time I watched the whole thing of "Thriller" when I was like 4 yrs old and it scared the shit out of me. I think I watched it without permission too, cause you know that's how I do. :-) Little did I know that I just saw music history. Of course, I was only 4. I remember deciding that I needed to know how to moonwalk. So now I can. I remember the music videos that all seemed like short films. All brilliant. Learning the dances to Thriller, Smooth Criminal and Beat It cause it was so cool. I remember babysitting these two little boys and watching Michael Jackson videos every time and having dance parties with them. So much fun.

Yesterday we lost a brilliant performer and it's very surreal. A man that changed the music industry and revolutionized dance and entertainment. Michael Jackson was hands down a genius. You could not count the sheer number of people worldwide that know his music. The amount of people in the music world that name him as an influence. The people in the dance world that started dancing because of him. It's kinda ridiculous to think about the impact one guy could have and the type of legacy he could build. 750 million records sold worldwide, 13 Grammys (6 of those for Thriller {the best selling album of all time}), 13 Number One singles in his solo career. He holds multiple Guinness World Records including The Most Successful Entertainer of All Time. That's bigger than Elvis, The Beatles or any big name in music you can think of. I don't care what anyone says that is NUCKIN' FUTS!

The sad part is the vast majority of the younger generation of people that know of MJ know him cause of all the controversy that surrounded him in the late nineties into the 2000s. Those of us who grew up with him in the 70s (not me) and 80s (yup that's me) know him for his brilliance in entertainment. There never will be another Michael Jackson. And if there is then great. But I truly think (and I'm not alone on this) that Michael is one of a kind and that type of success will never be duplicated. I really don't think the youth of america really understand or grasp the magnitude of his influence. IT'S CRAZY! But forget all that stuff, he was accused of doing some pretty messed up things (which was never proven and he was acquitted) so of course that makes him scum. I'll be the first to say that he was a character and fairly eccentric and I don't get all the plastic surgery but hey whatever, people will do what they want. But I'm not gonna point a finger at him for things that I know nothing about and didn't witness myself. BUT I did witness his music, his music videos, and televised performances. I can attest to that.

Some people will choose to remember him by his eccentricity, unfounded allegations, odd behavior at times and his ever changing physical appearance. This person, however, will choose to honor his name. As I sit here watching his videos and still marveling at his music and choreography, I will remember his vast accomplishments in the music industry, internationally and his philanthropy. RIP Michael, we lost you too soon and I pity the fool who disgraces your legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment