13 May 2009

I tried to run away to the circus once...

I'm afraid I've been thinking. A dangerous pastime. I know. (mega points for movie reference GO)

There are quite a few things that I used to do that I don't do anymore, that I enjoyed immensely.  Playing the saxophone for one. I started when I was 8. I got good, dare I say really good as time went by.  I've never procured my own instrument however, which proved to be an obnoxious setback once I went to college. I can play any saxophone. Alto I can't stand though. It's an annoying sound to me. Soprano is fun to play, though I dislike the music of Kenny G. Not to be read as "Kenny G is a sucky musician." He's a brilliant player. I just can't stand his music, I find it rather irritating.  Tenor sax is great as well, particularly in jazz. You have a nice mix of the upper register and it can still get fairly low and have a great bottom sound. Man! I miss playing jazz, it's so much fun to play. And bari sax. Oh my gosh! If you have never heard a well played bari sax, then you need to go listen to some Dave Matthews Band. LeRoi Moore (RIP) is flippin' amazing! Well played bari is one of the  sexiest sounds (no, your eyes deceive you not), in my opinion, that I've ever heard. Especially when you get to your GAB below the staff, you can feel it in your gut. Mm! 

Juggling is another thing I used to do a lot. So much fun to learn tricks and perfecting them and juggling clubs too. Plus it just looks cool if you're good :-) I was part of the juggling club first two years at Messiah then I don't know what happened. Most unfortunate. I used pine over the DubĂ© juggling catalog. When I was 15, I auditioned for Circus Smirkus, which if you're not from the New England area, is a kid's circus. Legit. Real professional. Kids from like 10-19 doing all circus acts. Flippin' amazing. Didn't get in. If I did, who knows what that would've led to but yea. But I have a special place for circus. 

I think I need to come back to the basics of me. I remember in high school knowing that I would study something in the arts cause at the time I couldn't see myself doing anything else. Now, I see myself doing a lot of different things. But I need to re-center I think. Get art back into my life in a greater capacity. I think I'm so stuck on what I should be doing as my "job", that I'm missing out on so much other stuff.  I need to come back to why I fell in love with art, performing and fine alike. Photography, music (I would love to get my hands on a sax again), acting, cooking, singing, dancing. Something about the arts is so freeing. The ability to put yourself into something that doesn't necessarily utilize words is just an amazing concept.  Playing music and dancing. Singing. I get the urge to sing sometimes but I'm talking songs that have some pretty hardcore belty parts. I think that is my draw to musicals.  Thank you Larry Carey for helping me discover belting and that I have a belt voice and a powerful one at that too.  Belting is just like purging your soul of whatever you're feeling.  It's kinda ridic. :sigh:

Yea a return to the basics.  Gotta work on that...

1 comment:

  1. I like.
    And totally agree. Sometimes you just need to have the time and space to let yourself go in whatever artistic form you crave at that moment. Good luck in your search.

    oh, and your quote is from Lefou and Gaston's song in 'Beauty and the Beast.' :)

    ReplyDelete